Introduction to Canadian EducationFOCUS: To provide transitional educational, school preparedness and orientation programming for newly arrived refugee youth, 6 to 17 years, who are awaiting placement in a Winnipeg school.
TIME: Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
The program has several important components, each designed to help refugee youth transition into the Canadian School system and integrate successfully into the greater Winnipeg community. Basic assessments are completed on each student and shared with their new school to assist in classroom placement and support services. There is set curriculum that covers the following four units:
- Education & Employment
- Health & Nutrition
- Safety & Law
- Places & Community
- School preparedness (learning about a ‘Canadian classroom’, expectations of teachers, etc.)
- Orientation to Winnipeg (community services & resources, safety issues, etc.)
- English language skill development (opportunities for skills development, EAL activities, etc.)
- Recreational activities (team building activities, low organized games, gym time, etc)
- Computer skills (structured computer classes, introduction to technology skills, etc)
Individual or group psycho-social support is provided by social workers on an as needed basis
Program Coordinator: Kirby Borgardt (204) 940-1264